September 10th, 2007
Time to show you who takes home the Hot Toys AvP Elder Predator figure, valued at $129.99! Once again I would like to thank Sideshow Collectibles for their tremendous support and we had an amazing turnout! I received over 300 entries!
Before we announce the winner, lets answer the trivia questions!
1. In the early stages of filming Predator 1, a completely different suit was originally used as the alien hunter and quickly scraped in favor of a new suit designed by Stan Winston Studios and worn by Kevin Peter Hall. Who was the actor that wore the original monster suit for 2 days before walking off the set?
It was Jean-Claude Van Damme
2. Who came up with the idea of having mandibles on the Predator?
The idea of creating a creature with mandibles was suggested by James Cameron.
3. Name the actor from Predator 2 that has been killed by a Predator, an Alien and a Terminator.
4. Why didnâ€™t Arnold Schwarzenegger agree to join the Predator 2 cast?
He had already committed to Terminator 2.
5. At the end of Predator 2, the elder Predator throws an old gun to Danny Gloverâ€™s character. Inscribed on the weapon is â€œRaphael Adolini 1715â€â€¦ who is this referring to?
Raphael Adolini is a fictional character from the Predator series. He is an Italian-born Moroccan-raised Barbary pirate. He was one of the most feared pirates of his day, but because of the mysterious disappearance of him and his whole crew at the height of his career, others like Blackbeard have been remembered with more notoriety. His ship, the â€œMuerte Negra,â€ was feared especially because unlike many ships which flew the Jolly Roger, Adoliniâ€™s ship flew a red flag, the â€œjolie rouge,â€ which signaled to its captives death to all. The phrase â€œdead men tell no tales,â€ has been ascribed to Adolini. It was carved above his cabin door, when his ship was found floating vacant, east of the Bermuda Triangle in 1718, The flintlock pistol rumored to have been one of Adoliniâ€™s favorite prizes was taken from Ivar the Boneless after Adolini attacked and plundered the ship of the Viking pirate in April 1715.
At the end of Predator 2, Michael Harrigan is given that pistol by the Predators as a prize after he kills one of their own. This is the first reference to his existence. The story of Adolini’s demise was later told in the Dark Horse comic book series.
6. Throughout the film Alien vs Predator, Paul Anderson pays tribute to the older Alien and Predator movies several times with scenes that are directly referencing those older movies. Describe at least 1 scene where this is done and which movie and scene it is referencing.
a. The pen scene referencing when Bishop did the knife trick in Aliens
b. Lex calling the alien “One Ugly Mother F’er” in tribute to Predator 1
c. The altars where victims were placed in the Chamber of Sacrifices of the pyramid is arranged exactly the same as the hibernation pods in the original Alien movie.
There were MANY others and most people got this right.
7. For AvP, ADI is the company that did the special effects and props. What does ADI stand for?
ADI stands for Amalgamated Dynamics Incorporated
BONUS QUESTION â€“ If you correctly answer this question along with the other 7 questions above, your name will be added a second time to the final pool of names:
During the filming of Predator 1, Stan Winstonâ€™s crew pulled a prank on Stan himself in his hotel room. Stan immediately thought that the always-joking Arnold Schwarzenegger had pulled off the prank so he retaliated by doing the same thing to Arnoldâ€™s room. 20 years later, Stan found out that it was in fact the CREW that pranked him all along and not Arnold. What was the prank?
Stan’s crew gathered up a bunch of MASSIVE bullfrogs (about the size of a half-loaf of bread) and stuffed them all in to Stan’s shower in his room. When Stan found the frogs, he immediately thought his good friend and practical joker Arnold had done it, so he had his crew gather up the frogs and put them in Arnold’s room. It was many years later when it finally came out that the crew had done it all along!
So who won? The winner is….
ARIEL GONZALEZ from Miami Florida!
Ariel successfully answered all the questions, including the bonus question, and was the first name drawn from the hat! Congrats Ariel, you’ve won the contest and Sideshow will be sending out your prize very soon!
Thank you to everyone that took the time to enter, and I think we’ll do it again soon but with even harder questions